I’m Chris. I’m 24 and I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This is my blog about film, which has recently become a passion of mine. I strive to learn as much as I can about movies and everything involved in making them.
I keep track of all the movies I have watched and re-watched in 2011. Click here to see the list.
- I tend to dislike movies that are categorized as “comedies,” unless they are completely over-the-top (a la Mrs. Doubtfire, Dumb and Dumber, and Airplane!). Generally, I don’t like films that are created to make people laugh. I like depressing and feel-bad dramas (because that is how life is, right?)
- The movie I have watched the most is The Squid and the Whale. Its short running time probably has something to do with it (though I could watch it again and again if it were twice as long). One of my favorite actresses is Laura Linney.
- Some of my favorite directors include Ingmar Bergman, Yasujiro Ozu, Roman Polanski, Pedro Almodovar, Mike Leigh, and Krzysztof Kieślowski. I have a penchant for foreign films and foreign directors.
- I prefer to watch all movies with subtitles, regardless if they are in my native tongue (English). Dialogue is something I really pay attention to.
- I’m working my way toward watching as many films as I can in The Criterion Collection. Click here to see a list of the titles I have seen.
- My favorite film critics are Roger Ebert, A.O. Scott (The New York Times), and Dana Stevens (Slate.com). I never read a full review before seeing a movie.
The header images are from The White Ribbon, a sumptuously photographed German film by director Michael Haneke.